Dating and Moobs
Does having moobs affect a guy’s dating life?
Of course there’s no one answer to this question, unless the answer is, “It all depends.” It depends on the individual man: his particular case of man boobs, his overall self-esteem and other factors. But it’s probably fair to say that moobs impact the way most guys interact with “the fairer sex” at least to some extent.
For some men, the challenge starts in grade school when teasing and bullying are common problems for youngsters developing moobs. Guys remember girls as well as boys grabbing their breasts and making rude comments.
Later on, when it’s time to date, many men with moobs have trouble working up their confidence. It’s no wonder, when you check online polls on the topic. On one forum, someone posted an inquiry several years ago about whether women would consider dating a man with moobs. The answers included comments from women who treated the issue sensitively, but there were many other along these lines:
- Uhhhh, no
- Hell no
- Man boobs would be a turn off
On one of the many other relationship forum sites, one member posted, “There’s no chance in the world” she would date a man with enlarged breasts.
Input from women ranging from thoughtless to downright mean can affect men in different ways. One gynecomastia.org member related how an attractive young woman he met in a bar poked his chest and said he had “boobies.” He said he felt the comment was made innocently. But nasty comments can also prompt a guy to fire back- making him feel empowered in the process. Another gynecomastia.org member suggests tossing off retorts such as “you can put my bra on backward it might fit you better…”
Dating can be a challenge for lots of men- dating with moobs can be even tougher. Here are some moves guys can consider:
- Strengthening overall self-esteem. Assistance can be found via self-help books, counseling and on online forums for men like gynecomastia.org. All these measures can help build confidence.
- Developing other satisfying pursuits. One member of gynecomastia.org took up wrestling and became quite successful; another joined a band. When a guy feels recognized for something positive and not man boob-related, it can make all the difference in his outlook.
- Working on health and fitness levels. There’s nothing like a toned, strong body to help a person feel resilient and ready for anything.
- Learning about gynecomastia surgery. Many men with man boobs whose quality of life is generally good do not choose male breast reduction, but many others do. In fact, it’s when a guy has already addressed self-esteem, fitness and other important ingredients of a healthy life that surgery for moobs can be a great move. With the right plastic surgeon, the procedure is safe and very likely to produce great results.
Navigating through life with man boobs is somewhat like dealing with any other characteristic that sets one apart from his peers-an overly large nose, for instance. But because moobs can impact a man’s feelings about his body-and therefore his relationships with women-the condition is more challenging to deal with than most. Visiting a plastic surgeon for a consultation is one move that can help a guy decide what courses of action to take.